The Smarter Balanced Assessment System utilizes computer-adaptive tests and performance tasks that allow students to show what they know and are able to do. This system is based on the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for English-language arts (ELA)/Literacy and mathematics.
The Smarter Balanced Assessment System has three components designed to support teaching and learning throughout the year: the Summative Assessments, the Interim Assessments, and the Digital Library.
- Summative Assessments
In grade eleven for ELA/Literacy and mathematics. The summative assessments are administered as part of the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) System.
- Interim Assessments
Designed to improve and promote teaching and learning by providing information that can be used to monitor student progress toward mastery of the CCSS. These optional resources are available to all kindergarten through grade twelve (9–12) teachers in ELA/Literacy and mathematics.
- Digital Library
Consists of tools and practices designed to help teachers utilize formative assessment processes for improved teaching and learning in all grades. These optional resources are available to all California educators.
Directions to LOGIN to Practice Tests:
- Visit californiatac.org
- CLICK: Practice and Training Tests in Green
- Practice & Training Tests
- If you are a student, select this button to access the Practice and Training Tests for the online Smarter Balanced tests. At the bottom of the page, CLICK: Student Interface Practice and Training Tests
- CLICK: Sign In (Do not change GUEST)
- Select GRADE and CLICK YES
- Select a test. Choose any test to take.
- If needed, choose specific Settings. CLICK: SELECT
- CLICK: Yes, Start My Test
- CLICK: Begin Test Now
Users may not skip test items. All test items must be answered on a page before going to the next page.