- In 2007-2008 we opened the second of our Smaller Learning Communities, whose purpose is to give the incoming ninth graders a chance to bond with their teacher and peers for two years before entering into the mainstream population. This approach builds relationships among students, teacher, and parents and increases academic success for the students.
- We have opened an after-school film academy in partnership with the Hollywood Entertainment Museum for after-school enrichment. We also opened our new Construction Academy, where students will learn the fundamentals of plumbing, carpentry, electrical equipment, and refrigeration. Also, for the second year in a row, we exceeded our academic growth targets set by the state of California.
Focus for Improvement
- Improve our California Standards Tests (CST) scores by at least 15 points and reach our Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) growth target.
- Increase our graduation rate for seniors from 92 percent, which was very good, to 95 percent.
- Prepare for and have a successful Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) accreditation visitation.
- Hire fully qualified teachers in all core subject areas by December 2008.
- Open our Medical/Science magnet (third phase of our Smaller Learning Communities).
- Increase the vocational offerings through our partnership with SCROC.
- Continue to significantly reduce the number of threats and violence (fights) on and off campus while increasing the number of students entering post-secondary opportunities.
- Increase CAHSEE passage rate for first-time takers (tenth graders) from 60 percent to 90 percent.
- Have all seniors participate in College Summit.